Pages

Wednesday 13 January 2010

Cricut: Make the cut

I haven't achieved any crafting today. This morning I did a couple of jobs out of my resolutions job box - more info if you click the link to the original post:

I've now done 7 or 8 of the jobs so far, so that's not bad going for this stage of the new year - I have to confess that a couple of days ago I asked John to pick a paper and it turned out to be something I really didn't want to do, so we put that one back and chose another.

For part of my Christmas present, John said that I could buy the download for Cure Cuts a Lot to enable me to use my Cricut for computer generated designs as well as from the cartridges, thus using it like the craft robo. I do have a craft robo as well - the idea now is to sell that and just use the cricut - in the space I've got it will be far more manageable to just use the one machine.

Anyway, I was all set to get Sure Cuts a Lot, having downloaded the trial version before Christmas and seen how good it was - and then I learned that there is now software called 'Make the cut', which is very similar to SCAL. I've spent time this afternoon and earlier this evening researching it, comparing the two - and downloaded the trial version so I could see for myself.

I've come out in favour of the Make the cut software, so I took the plunge and bought it. I've had a play and cut a few scalloped circles etc and then downloaded a free svg file 'holly swirl' from here and imported into MTC and then made duplicates within the file so that it cut six at a time. I used silver mirror card to cut them (it's not too thick, which is just OK for the cricut to manage with the ordinary blade) and here's the result:

Now tomorrow I need to get on and use these for my Christmas cards for the 25th club on Bubbly Funk before the month goes on any further.

9 comments:

  1. Those look lovely!

    Glad you got it sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Hazel... now you got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooo now there is a thought - I have been pondering over this for ages

    I LOVE the resolution box and the fact you CHEATED!!!!!


    MY BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those are fab Hazel, I shall be interested to hear how you get on with that programme xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The resolution box is great! The software - easy to understand for a luddite? Will watch with interest, the scrolls are marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scrolls look fabulous Hazel, well done on getting your head round another program! So glad to hear you're not above "cheating" on your resolutions box, too! Just don't keep putting that one back so it's the last miserable job you have to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've seen that swirl,it's lovely isn't it :)
    can't wait to see what you do with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Naughty Hazel! fancy cheating with your resolutions box - I wonder if that one will end up being the only one left in the box....

    Good luck with the new software, I hope you get on well with it - being a Robo user rather than a cricut user I don't know anything about the new software

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated