Tuesday, 6 January 2009

Yummy card

I used sketch 29 on Dutch Dare for this card )I turned the sketch upright):



The papers are Steffi Tutti Frutti by craftwork cards (sorry that the photo makes the papers look as if they're not stuck properly, but they are really! - very difficult to get a photo especially as there is glitter on the ice cream sundae).

This week's challenge 43 on My time to craft is 'food, glorious food' and on This Thursday it's all about ... 25: naughty or nice (think this qualifies for both!):



Four New Year challenges in one

I needed to make another New Year card, so I used the current Di Hickman sketch:



The new challenge on Papertake Weekly is 'seeing spots', so the papers and ribbon I've used qualify this card for that challenge. The papers are American Crafts the goods confetti and cummerbund.

Challenge 12 this week on Lili of the valley is to make a New Year card - and I also promised to make a new one for the RosieDee challenge.



That's one I can get into the post tomorrow!

Experimenting with something new!!

Saturday's Workout 36: salted backgrounds
DCM 'giving thanks'
Rainbow Lady 41: new ideas
Theme Thursday: something new

The challenge this week on Saturday's workout is to make and use salted backgrounds, a technique which is explained here.

I thought that if I tried out a new technique I could also use the result for the challenges this week on Rainbow Lady and Theme Thursday, both of which were asking us to try something new.

Now, I'm willing to try anything once (or perhaps twice!), but, oh dear, this wasn't exactly a success (to put it mildly) - I used dye ink pads as instructed and tried to follow the tutorial, but this is what I ended up with:



I realise that I should have been bolder with the original dyes before applying the salt.

And then I had an idea to try Adirondack Color Wash, cranberry, lettuce and stream, instead of dye ink pads - well, they are water-based dyes, after all! And I did have better success with these:



However, I don't like wasting anything, so I decided to try and rescue my first pathetic attempt. With a bit (well, OK, a lot of imagination), it suggested a seascape background to me. So I swiped over the disaster area with some chalk ink pads - blue iris, yellow citrus and a touch of tangerine. This has then formed the basis of the background of this card:



I then used some of the color wash background on this card, just adding the 'thanks' sentiment and K & Co 3D flower stickers:



As I added 'with special thanks' this card is suitable for this week's DCM challenge: giving thanks.

Please click on the various links to see these wonderful challenges that inspire us to try new things (even if they don't turn out as expected!)